Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fall in Love with San Francisco!!

Golden Gate Bridge










San Francisco, California for a Whirlwind Weekend? Why not?

That familiar itch ever present since arriving back from my trip to the UK for the holidays, and I could take it no longer. I went straight home from work, packed my bag and hightailed it to the airport. The flights to San Francisco were heaving with people but the flights to San Jose were wide open, enabling us to fly to California to embark on a new adventure. We boarded the plane, took our seats, and booked a hotel by the San Jose airport. Our flight was newly equipped with WiFi and although I was not willing to pay for internet on a relatively short flight I figured I would at least check it out and see what the rates were. However, after waiting about 5 minutes for the page to load I gave up and got lost in my beats.

We landed in San Jose and made it to the taxi rank just before midnight, a $15 cab fare later we had arrived at a Holiday Inn where we found a bed built for basketball players well equipped with pillows for hobbits. We snuggled in to our barge with miniature cushions and quickly drifted off to the land of nod. Thanks to the time change we woke up bright and early and took off for the day. After a moment of confusion and a conversation with an incredibly kind VTA Security man. We took the VTA train from our hotel to the Civic Center where we caught the 181 bus to the Freemont Bart station to catch the Bart in to Oakland.

We disembarked at the Lake Merritt Station and walked to the Waterfront Hotel in Jack London Square. The marina in Jack London Square boasted some very pretty views and it only took a moment to realize the magic this special area of California had to offer. Bags stowed away safely in our gorgeous boutique room we meandered towards the 12th St. Bart Station to finally arrive in San Francisco!

Pier 39
What a city! San Francisco was everything I had imagined and more. From the street vendors selling unique crafts on our journey towards the pier to the stunning bay views my camera barely stopped to breathe in between shutter clicks. Pier 39 is like something from a film. As you are engulfed by vibrant colors you can almost taste the overwhelming scent of enticing food, sweet and savory, entangled with the salty ocean. The sound of both people and seagulls laughing fills the air and you can't help but smile as you wander down the pier, peaking into shops and peering at the menus. We managed to get on a wait-list to eat at the Crab House and boy was it worth the wait! We shared a massive portion of delectable crab legs and sipped on beer and mojitos until we needed wheelbarrows to roll us out. If you get a chance to eat crab in San Fran you have to give this place a try!

As we walked back to the BART station we found ourselves in the middle of a massive parade for the Chinese New Year. Dancing dragons and equine floats lined the road with various participants following along singing, dancing, or performing martial arts. It was such a pleasant surprise! We slowly made our way back to the station walking against the parade so we could soak up the festivities.

Jack London Square Marina at Night

Once back in Jack London Square we went to Lugomare for drinks and waited in anticipation for the band to start. I ordered a drink called  "1495" which was a fantastic twist on an "old fashioned". The combination of barrel aged Tariquet Blanc Armagnac, Dolin Rouge, and Luxardo Maraschino liqueur tantalized your palate with every sip. However, despite the unique drink menu, an unfortunate first song played by an incredibly passionate saxophonist encouraged us to spare our ear drums and we left to enjoy the Marina Views at night before turning in.

Walking out of your hotel in the morning to find a fabulous farmers market is the best inspiration for breakfast. The farmer's market was simply fantastic. They had everything you could want from fresh fruit and hot cooked meals, to flowers and homemade candles. The various goods for sale were beautiful and if I had only more space in my luggage I would have been in danger of spending quite a good deal.

Alcatraz through the Trees
Equipped with a farm fresh breakfast I ventured back to San Francisco on the Bart. I moseyed  through the various stalls before walking from Embarcadero to Fort Mason only stopping to hear my shutter click. Once atop Fort Mason I sat back and took in the view of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. After a while I lay back on a picnic table and listened to the people below and the birds above while getting lost in the golden California sun clearly framed by the brilliant blue skies. After a while the sound of some people approaching pulled me out of my day dreams and got me back up and on the move.

I have seen street performers on my travels before but there is something about the performers on the streets of San Francisco that is unlike any I had since come across. Fisherman's Wharf in particular had an incredibly talented man spray painting stunning images of San Fran on canvas as well as numerous live statues only shifting for coin.


The walk back towards Pier 39 was so entertaining I barely noticed taking a single step before I found myself looking upon a hoard of lazy sea lions. I don't remember having ever seen a sea lion before but I will never forget these ones. Young and old, massive and tiny sea lions were everywhere! They were a comical bunch providing a good show for the audience they must be well accustomed to. The lucky ones had managed to find a comfortable plot to sunbathe in peace. However, the majority were not so lucky. Many were trampled on as their cheeky neighbors bumbled over them in pursuit of a better sunbed. A few were deep in the heat of battle vying for the plank of wood with the best rays of sun. A lover of the wild I was lost in the sea lion soap opera for almost an hour before my grumbling stomach and ringing phone inspired me to meet back up and find somewhere for a late lunch.


We met near the Pier 39 flags and decided with our luggage and time constraints it would be easiest to go to the Hard Rock Cafe as it is the first restaurant on the pier. After filling up on fabulous burgers and fries we found a Taxi and headed to the airport. To say it had been a magical weekend would be an understatement. I had fallen in LOVE with San Francisco and was sad that we had to be saying goodbye to such a wonderful city so soon. Fingers intertwined we boarded the plane and promised each other we would be back soon to explore more of this unforgettable place.

Jack London Square Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment