Thursday, June 26, 2014

Maungakiekie - One Tree Hill


Twenty thousand years ago a wild untamed volcano lost its temper spewing molten lava all over the little island it called home. Its tantrum was so outrageous that it built a whole new terraced landscape. Today the landscape of this once ferocious volcano is a peaceful haven. Maungakiekie, as the Maori call it, was one of the most important fortified villages of the Maori who inhabited the hill around the 16-1700's. Often referred to today as One Tree Hill, Maungakiekie is now a simple park adjoined with Cornwall Park for the locals to enjoy.

We arrived early in the morning and drove slowly into Cornwall Park hunting for a parking spot amongst the cars of the avid joggers who were out getting an early start. Parking the car a short way up the hill we grabbed our gear and continued on foot. Sheep decorate the landscape making the stunning scenery all the more interesting and we kept stopping despite the looming clouds to set up the tripod and capture some images.

Half way up the hill we found the visitor's center where we were greeted by two lovely ladies. They weren't just friendly faces but an endless fountain of information about Cornwall Park, One Tree Hill & the Maori. They showed us to the on site cinema where we watched a film to gain a visualization of the old Maori town and learn about Sir John Logan Campbell, a great leader who loved the Maori and is considered by many to be the "father of New Zealand." Campbell set aside money for an obelisk to be built in honor of the Maori and this obelisk stands proudly at the top of the hill, a shining beacon for all to see in honor of the Maori.

One Tree Hill is named after a lone tree that used to reside at the top of the hill before the construction of the Obelisk. Unfortunately the tree was cut down and when the government tried to replace it with a grove of trees only one survived. This one tree lived next to the Obelisk for quite some time. However, unfortunately the tree had to be removed due to its deteriorating health meaning there is no longer a lone tree at the top of the hill. Despite the missing tree, the hill is covered by trees of a variety of species and one tree in particular stands very alone in a field just below the summit disguising itself as the ancient "One Tree" of lore.

The further up the hill you go the more vast and beautiful the view becomes. The city of Auckland grows around you with every step and once at the top you can see all edges of this instrumental Kiwi metropolis. Standing at the top of this cold volcano taking in the beautiful views and the fascinating Obelisk was a brilliant start to my New Zealand adventure. With storm clouds quickly moving in we made our way quickly down the side of the terraced volcano. Unfortunately for me, as the rain began to pour the mud began to thicken. Arriving at an incredibly steep slope I started to make my way down carefully, moving my camera bag in front of me I squelched my first foot into the mud that was rushing down the hill. Foot nicely sunk in I took my second step and then my third and with my confidence building as to my incredible mud navigation skills I took the fourth step and WOOSH I was gone. One arm wrapped quickly around my camera bag as the other went back to break my fall and I slid like a little girl sledding on a rubbish bin lid down the side of the hill all the way down to the bottom. Bum caked in mud, I stood up to find myself otherwise relatively clean and unharmed, so I brushed myself off and we bustled back towards the car.

Despite the ominous clouds followed by the rain and the mud slide it had been a fabulous outing! One Tree Hill was definitely in my top 5 sites we visited while in New Zealand. Not only was it free but it was interesting, full of culture, and complete with fabulous views. Definitely somewhere I would like to visit again one day (though maybe not in the rain!)







No comments:

Post a Comment