Monday, June 2, 2014

Cut the Stress... a Guide to Planning Your Next Vacation!


As I lie on my back under a large oak tree I take a deep breath and get lost in the rays of light shining through the dancing leaves. my trip is planned and the count down has begun leaving nothing left to do but lie back and relax!

There are two different ways in which I travel. The first and most frequent is the fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants technique where I do a little research before I go and then just ask locals for advice as I bounce around the country. Though I rarely find myself disappointed after such adventures, some trips require a little more planning.

Whenever the itch sets in and I find myself in desperate need to escape my planning brain sets in and I get to work figuring out how I can make it happen.

Step One: How long will you be traveling?
Figure out the earliest date and time you can leave and the latest date and time you need to be back. Once you have the amount of time available for your adventure the real planning can begin.

Step Two: The Budget.
This is always the hardest part. Before I commit to a location I determine how much money I am comfortable spending for my venture. Once you have calculated your budget, then you can get to work picking your location.

Step Three: Decide where you want to go!
I always decide where I want to go once I have determined how long I have and what my budget is because they will determine which destinations are eligible. If I only have a small budget and a weekend, that probably means road-trip to somewhere near by. However, If I have been saving for a while and can spare a few weeks to travel then I am more likely to go to one of my bucket list locations and try to do it right.

Location selected, Budget calculated, and Time allotted it is time to finally start planning!

First step is figuring out how you are going to get there. Are you willing to change flights multiple times if it will save you money? Can you purchase your tickets with miles? What airline has the best rates for the most convenient route? It is always good to be flexible with travel days and routes in order to get the best rate. If you are not overly concerned about having a direct flight it could save you a lot of money.

Second step is and always will be research. You obviously picked your destination for a reason but what exactly do you want to do while you are there? Trip Advisor is an invaluable tool while planning a trip as you can see what the area has to offer. Often I will see a location that appeals to me and when I read about it on trip advisor I am either dissuaded by the dissatisfied travelers before me or encouraged to dedicate more time to the location. (Be sure to read lots of reviews because different people have different tastes which will impact their opinion.) I make a list of the sights I want to see ranking them by level of importance. Once I know what is most important to me I work out what is actually feasible on my time and budget and create my itinerary from there.

Third step is logistics. How are you going to get around while you are in the country? Public transportation? Car Rental? Bicycle? You know where you want to go, so now you have to figure out the best way to get there. Do your research and see what other travelers recommend. While in Mumbai, I got around using the trains, in Cambodia I went everywhere via Tuk Tuk and for our trip to New Zealand we are renting a car. Determine what the best mode of transportation will be for your adventures and then get busy booking hotels.

Step four is Hotels. You now know what you want to see and how you need to travel around so you need to figure out where you are going to stay. I love Hotels.com because after 10 nights you get a free night. Unlike, your average rewards program you don't have to stay at the same chain of hotels. They have a wide selection of hotels, bed & breakfasts and hostel listed so you can select an option within your price range. If on the rare occasion Hotels.com can not meet my needs I use AirBnB which has great options for places to stay at a rate within your budget.

Once I have my transportation, location, and hotels figured out I try and book whatever attractions I plan on visiting. Often, booking your tickets in advance online saves money and valuable time standing in lines. (Make sure to print out your confirmations so your have a physical copy in case your digital copies are inaccessible on the day!)

Whether you are renting a car or using public transit, it is always a good idea to take the time to study a map and print a few out for use while you are there. Tom Toms and Garmins are great but there is nothing like a good old fashioned map to help you get around an unfamiliar place.

Travelling out of the country? Don't forget to check what visas (if any) are required. It is also a good idea to read up on the local laws and get a few key phrases under your belt. For more tip and tricks of being a good tourist... check out my Guide to Being a Good Tourist!



2 comments:

  1. An insightful read (as always) and very helpful for those of us who don't travel much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Nage...actually his wife (aka your sister-in-law!)

      Delete