Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Getting Wild in the Smokies



Straddling the border of North Carolina & Tennessee the Great Smoky Mountains are one of America's natural wonders. Part of the greater Appalachian Mountain chain, the Smokies are an integral part of the Appalachian Trail and a popular destination for outdoor explorers of all kinds. Wandering through this national park, you are likely to stumble upon intriguing  native birds, timid deer, and bold black bears among other native creatures. 

I enjoyed not only the tranquility of exploring the Great Smoky Mountains on my own, but the vibrant life that was surrounding me. The flora & fauna present in this protected area are a feast for the eyes to behold. Tall trees climb the mountains surrounding you only interrupted by the road upon which you pass or the rivers & streams that weave their way through the mountains. 

At the advice of some friends, I made my way to Cade's Cove where I could enjoy a scenic drive, numerous nature trails, and had a high chance of catching a glimpse of a magnificent black bear. Pulling through the gates to enter into Cade's cove, there was only one other car in my sights and I slowly rolled along enjoying the stunning views while keeping my eyes peeled for interesting wildlife. 

Having driven a few miles through the cove, I decided to pull over and go wandering down one of the nature paths. I parked my car, grabbed my camera, and took of walking down the narrow path laid out before me. As the road behind me disappeared, I noticed a deer off in the distance and paused to capture its image before becoming distracted by a stunning woodpecker off in the distance. Focusing on the woodpecker, and trying to catch a better glimpse I was startled when I heard a branch break just behind me. Turning slowly around, I found myself standing 6 feet from the deer I had been admiring earlier. Not wishing to startle the magnificent creature, I took a few steps forward along the path and listened as it followed me.  Realizing I had gained a shadow, I decided to take my time and take a few photos of my new found friend. It was such a strange and magical feeling to be sharing this moment with the wild, each intrigued by the other while sharing a mutual respect for the other. I stood observing the deer grazing around me for several moments before making a wide berth around it and heading back to my car. 

The cove had grown busier and there were now several other cars along the route. I continued along the designated road until I arrived at Cooper trail where I parked to embark on my next adventure.  I began walking, passing several families and groups out hiking along the trails. After a while I found myself hiking in whatever direction took me away from the loudest families, who seemed to have forgotten we were in the peace and tranquility of nature and therefore didn't need to be shouting at the top of their lungs and make even the water rush away. Noisy people all around and the day nearing an end, I decided to head back to my car so I could venture down towards Abrams Falls.


It is a 5 mile round trip to Abrams Falls so I knew I could not make it to the falls and back without getting caught out in the night so I decided to walk as far as I could in 30 minutes and then double back so I could finish the drive in that golden hour before the sun goes to bed. Walking along the trail a midst the trees to the sound of the rushing water in the river I felt as though I had been transported to a different time & place. Only passing a few people at the trail head who were heading out, I found myself alone in the woods with only my thoughts for company. This sense of solitude, incredibly freeing, made it easy to get lost in the brilliance of the world surrounding me as I watched cranes fish, leaves dance, and bees flirt with flowers. 

The Smoky Mountains reminded me of the location depicted in the Hunger Games, where Catniss finds solace in the mountainous woodlands before finding herself battling her peers in the landscape which once held such a sense of security for her. Staring at the sun through the never ending rows of trees, it was easy to understand why she found solace hunting in the woods outside the gates of District 12. (In fact, It all looked so familiar I googled the filming locations for the Hunger Games and discovered that a lot of the filming took place in Asheville, North Carolina which was only about 100 miles away.)









No comments:

Post a Comment