Thursday, August 14, 2014

Stars Shoot Past Perseus (Somewhere...)


The Perseid Meteor Shower graces the August night skies every year, encouraging excited astro-fanatics to abandon the comfort of their beds for a picnic under the stars. This year August 12th & August 13th were the prime nights for viewing the annual meteor shower forecasting an expected 60-100 meteors between 3am-4am all over the Northern hemisphere.

Excited to witness this annual phenomenon I prepared my gear on the night of the 11th to head out early in the morning of the 12th, but as a massive storm began to roll through Harris County my night was quickly turning in to a wash. Never one to be discouraged by set backs I set my alarm for the following night and at 2am on the morning of the 13th (night of the 12th), I clambered into our SUV, PG tips in hand, buckled up the pup and set off.

The key to photographing the stars is driving far enough out of the city that you reach a point where the sky can be viewed, free of all light pollution, in its true natural grandeur. Ideally one should scout out their location during the day and set up their shot in the light of day and then wait for night to fall. However, being the genius that I am I chose to sleep until 2 then get up and drive and hour west, taking me well out of Houston where I would have a pitch black clear view of the North Eastern sky. Well, that was the plan anyway, by the time I actually managed to find a location to shoot, it was 3:45 and I watched beautiful meteors shoot through the sky as I set up my camera on my tripod, got my intervalometer connected and waited for the timer to go off for the vehicle lights. I was so so excited! The meteor shower was proving to be amazing and I would soon be catching it on camera to remember for a lifetime!

Camera ready to go, I took my first shot and there was not a meteor to be seen in the sky. Ever hopeful I continually took photos until 5 o'clock in the morning when the sun was beginning to make its way around to spread it's light on our side of the world. In all that time, I didn't see even one shooting star. Incredibly disappointed (and exhausted) I packed up my gear, and headed back home.



Now then, the meteor shower is going on until August 26th so although the peak of the shower had past, I decided I would try one more time to catch that elusive shot of a shooting star over Texas. Deciding to return to the same location, I was out of the house by 1 and set up by 2. This time I was prepared, having brought a tasty picnic and a couple of treats for my dog we munched away, watching the sky for stars to begin shooting by. As time passed by the bright moon moved higher and higher gradually washing out the stars, limiting my visibility. Still hopeful, I waited, continually shooting in hopes of even one meteor making it into my shot. Unfortunately, a thunderstorm began to approach from behind and it quickly became apparent that I wouldn't be shooting any meteors during this years shower. Packing up and heading out, racing back home ahead of the storm, I couldn't help but smile. Though some could easily see my two nights of lost sleep as a total waste, I was so happy I had gone on my astrophotography safari. It had been a real adventure and a true learning experience. (Fingers crossed I have better luck with the Perseids next year!)




No comments:

Post a Comment