Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Somewhere Over the Rainbow...

Fire roaring above our heads as our feet slowly lift off the ground, my body is suddenly filled with a rush of excitement & anticipation only to be balanced by an overwhelming sense of calming relaxation. Lost in the dream that is reality, I can feel the edge of a wicker basket under my hands as I lean (ever so slightly) over the side and watch as we float away. Blades of grass disappearing into a solid green mass, we leave life on the ground, letting it shrink into the perfect screen setting for a computer game. Freeway sound drifting away below us, we find ourselves under the warmth of a roaring fire without even the sound of the wind, watching the world thrive below us, pure bliss.

There is no feeling in the world like it! Like what? Like a hot air balloon ride!


Blindfolded for an hour long car journey, I was confused to find myself in an empty parking lot next to an empty field at half past 6 in the morning. It wasn't until I saw a suburban and trailer pull up and a massive wicker basket get pulled out the back that I realized what it was we were going to be doing. Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed of being able to float off into a sparkling blue diamond sky and dance on the clouds. Although growing up I learned that there was no way to do a pirouette on those fluffy white blobs in the sky, the mystery and magic of a hot air balloon has always intrigued me, and seeing that basket appear and those first massive bursts of fire rocket into the air, I might as well have been dancing on the clouds.


Floating over the suburbs of Austin, past the cows and bison in the fields, we went off towards Taylor, Texas. It could not have been a more peaceful and relaxing experience and though my heart felt as if it could race out of my chest, it was not from anxiety but excitement! Despite the early morning chill in the air, the fire above us kept us warm, and provided a calming sense of confidence with its roar. Floating along, it was simply breathtaking watching the Austin skyline disappear off in to the distance as we traveled with the wind from Round Rock to Taylor, making the hour in the air go by all too fast. Braced for a landing that was much harder than I had anticipated, I was still so elated from the journey that I barely felt the basket smash against the ground before tipping quickly onto its side and getting dragged across a field. Clambering out of that basket my mind and heart were still high in the air and I felt as though I were still lost in a dream.

Traveling with "Lighter-Than-Airlines,"  Austin Aeronauts, Inc.  is hands down the best way to experience the sky. Our pilot David Smuck was an incredibly kind, intelligent, and friendly man who inspired confidence in his passengers with his wealth of hot air balloon knowledge and experience. Letting the wind take us up up & away, he controlled out elevation to take us on a stunning 12 mile long aerial adventure. After a surprisingly pleasant & exhilarating landing we were collected and taken back to where we first set off for champagne, croissants, and an initiation ceremony to the hot air balloon community. The whole experience was thought out to the final detail resulting in a day I will never forget. Simply put, flying in a hot air balloon with Austin Aeronauts is without a doubt the most amazing experience I have ever had!

Starting to inflate the balloon with a fan

Final prep stage before full thrusters!

Holding the balloon open as it inflates

Fire roaring in final prep for lift off.
Balloon upright and ready to go!
Sunrise from the balloon

Hot Air Balloon reflection in a creek below


Just after landing... (That is how the balloon landed!)


No comments:

Post a Comment