Sunday, May 11, 2014

Magical Crepes

Today is Mother's Day in America so I feel it is only appropriate to share one of my favorite recipes which I enjoy cooking for my mum.

I will never forget wandering the streets of Paris with my best friend, my darling mother, and looking up at the lights of the Eiffel Tower at night. We walked around the mesmerizing structure chatting and giggling about the wonders of Paris before making our way across the River Seine, through Jardins du Trocadero, and up a large concreate staircase.

Half way up the stairs, just to the right, sat a crepe stand. A French man with a friendly smile, was pouring batter onto a massive circular hot plate and twirling a long wooden spatula to spread the batter out into the perfect crepe. Flipping the crepe high into the air it landed perfectly on the other side, cooking to perfection before being smothered in nutella and showered with banana slices. After being folded into the perfect handheld crepe, we were handed our French masterpieces which we tucked into quickly.

Walking up the rest of the stairs to the Esplanade du Trocadero, giggling and enjoying our chocolaty indulgence, it began to rain. We finished our treat and enjoyed the Eiffel Tower shimmering in the rain under the sky spotted with clouds and stars before bustling off into the metro to make our merry way.

From this moment on, every time I make crepes, I am brought back to this moment in Paris. One of my favorite memories, I will always remember this night in the rain, and in honor of my mother on Mother's Day I am going to share with you my magical crepe recipe that makes the sun & stars come out on even the rainiest of days.



Magical Crepes

 The Odds & Ends
4oz unbleached all purpose flour
A pinch of Salt
2 eggs
300ml of milk and water mixed together
2 tbsp melted butter



Mix It Up
1. Put the flour and salt into a bowl.
2. Add the eggs along with a generous splash of the milk & water, and whisk in to the flour.
3. Once you have combined all of the flour into the tacky batter, begin to gradually add the rest of the milk & water, whisking until all the ingredients are well mixed in.
4. Add the melted butter to the batter and whisk in.
5. Heat a small frying pan to a medium-high heat, placing a chunk of butter on it to melt.
6. Pour the batter onto the frying pan allowing it to spread thinly.
7. Wait until the crepe begins to bubble before flipping it over. 8. It will only take a few moments before both sides are cooked. Once both sides are golden. Flip your crepe out onto a plate.
9. Crepes are fantastic savory or sweet, garnish as you please and enjoy!


Indulge:
I particularly enjoy my crepes topped either with freshly squeezed lemon and granulated sugar or with slices of banana with nutella and topped with ice cream.











No comments:

Post a Comment